Monday, June 1, 2009

A Mini Adventure

I decided to have a little adventure yesterday. I took my camera into the city and spent the day walking around the Garden District and in a few cemeteries. Hey, that's what makes this city interesting to me. You can spend an afternoon looking at gorgeous mansions and then spend some time looking at ancient headstones.




Being from an area where any tree that exists there had to be planted, I tend to be blown away by all things growing in nature without an irrigation system. Especially all the palm trees. Like this one. I was driving the other day and saw a green house advertising "Queen Palms". I wonder if this is one of those queens. Very grand.


Oh my. Look at this house. It must have a million rooms and is definitely not 500 square feet. Hmm...I wonder what I would do with a house that big? I definitely wouldn't want to have to clean that. But I suppose if you could have a house that size, you could afford to pay Merry Maids to come in and sweep out the cobwebs for you.


More pretty houses. I wish the pink house people wouldn't have grown that giant privacy bush, so we could admire their pretty pink house. What, do they want privacy or something?!


This house looks like the White House to me. If it were in the deep south, and had huge oak trees growing in front. And you could just walk up to it and they left their water delivery bottles on the front porch. I wouldn't mind drinking a mint julep on that porch.


Everyone who has a garden in New Orleans has these beauties growing right now. I think they are gorgeous and make me think of when Kevin and I were in Amsterdam last summer.


Of course, I had to add the obligatory magnolia blossom. They smell so pretty! It looks like the sun was shining a spotlight on this particular blossom.


After I left the Garden District, I drove over to the Metarie Cemetery to take some pictures. This particular cemetery was huge! Rows and rows of tombs, set up like a neighborhood.


Here is a headstone from 1800. That's right, 1800. This is an old city with lots, and lots of history. No wonder everyone thinks this entire city is haunted.


I tried to visit St. Louis Cemetery No. 1 and see if I could find Marie Laveau's grave, but alas, they are closed on Sundays. I'll plan my next visit accordingly and hopefully get some really interesting photographs. I particularly like the archway of magnolia trees.


Finally, here is a picture of the house that Kevin and I are trying to buy. We find out today if it is a done deal--I'll let you know as soon as we hear! I'm on pins and needles!

No comments:

Post a Comment