Monday, August 2, 2010

Hit The Road, Jack

And don't YOU come back, no more, no more, no more, no more....

Have you ever felt that way? Not about a lover, per-se, but a friend. HIT THE ROAD, FRIEND!

Okay, before anyone goes and starts thinking that I'm all upset and angry at something, cool your skirts.

Seriously. Not mad. Just an observation.

Have you ever had a friend or someone close to you that you are keeping around, except you can't quite really remember why you ever became friends in the first place?

Or, perhaps you thought you were thick as thieves and participated in very monumental occasions in each others' lives, yet you don't speak anymore.

Have you ever wondered why that is? Why, when you were bff's for EVER, and y'all, I MEAN FOREVER, and then you wake up one day and you hate that person's guts.

Okay, hate is a very strong word, but you get what I'm saying.

You simply cannot stand the very sight of said person, situation, WHATEVER. You are literally at your wit's end and are contemplating letting go of that rope that you so dearly have been holding onto for however long, but you pause . . .

Why?

Why do you pause? So you can have more pain? Beat yourself up a little more trying to make that person love you as much as you love them?

*PUHHHHHHSHAAAWWWWWWWWWWW*

This is an important lesson that everyone must learn on their own: You can't make someone love you, no matter how much you love them.

Period.

Therefore, we all have to be big boys and girls and take our knocks and figure out who the people are that come into your life that are keepers and others that come into your life to help you along on your journey, but aren't necessarily permanent fixtures - like drapes, really.

Not to knock the drapes, y'all. But, bad drapes can really mess your $*&t up. Seriously. Bad drapes are just bad drapes. And it's best to acknowledge the bad drapes for what purpose they served for you at the time, like say, attracting your future husband. (A whole other story, chickens...one that I could get sued over...maybe...I'm just saying)

Then you try to find other drapes that suit the flair of old drapes but aren't as treacherous as the previous set, you know. And then it just turns into this vicious cycle and frankly, people aren't window dressings.

But, I do have a point.

You will know in your soul when a relationship with a friend becomes toxic. It is best to step back and reassess...take a break, walk away - if you have to, and take care of yourself. Because, if you treat your life with your personal best interests at heart, you will find the right path and the right people with which to commune.

It just takes time and a few sets of bad drapes.

2 comments:

  1. YES! I've had to break up with a girlfriend recently and it was, well, WEIRD. And my guess is that she was ready to let it go too because she didn't really fight to keep it. It got to the point, though, where I didn't respect the decisions she was making and I just didn't want to be a part of it anymore, so I let it go. The whole thing feels kinda weird though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hard for me to get into my head, though I know it's true. IDK, I guess I want connections to always be there and it's hard for me to be the one to sever them. But yes, you're right, when it's time for the relationship to end it's time.
    Great post, Kel!

    ReplyDelete