Monday, March 21, 2011

Upbeat VS Downbeat


For those who aren't in the know of reading music, here's a little lesson.  So music, when written, is divided into measures.  These measures are typically written in time signatures, that is, how many beats are in a measure.  You have 4/4, which most music uses, 3/4 which is typically a waltz beat, 2/4 is a march, 6/8 is crazy hippie dancing (J/K!).  Anyway, you get the idea.  4/4 means you count the music 1, 2, 3, 4.
But, when you are listening to music, really enjoying it, when do you clap/tap your toes/wiggle your jiggle?  On the downbeat or the upbeat?  On the 1 and the 3 or the 2 and the 4?

Go ahead.  Try it.  Find yourself a piece of music that you enjoy and see what your natural tendency is for your rhythm.  I have a theory that people can be divided into two types, the upbeats and the downbeats.

I've tested the theory in our home: I'm an upbeat and Kev is a downbeat.  (That explains so much!)  Seriously, tested, re-tested, and tested again.  So, let me know your results!  I'll create a graph or something if you actually let me know your results!

xoxo

4 comments:

  1. I also divide people into those 2 camps. What I have noticed over the years is the more soulfull or jazzy the music, the more the emphasis is put on 2 and 4(also called the backbeat). Also, the whiter the music(bluegrass) is on 1&3 where as its close darker-skinned cousin, dixieland/ragtime,is on 2 and four.
    Lastly, you can really tell the difference when attending a "white Church" or "Black church", though I have known members of both that cross the lines.

    I am a 2&4, but I credit that to growing up in NOLA.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided to test your theory in our house, too. Made some amazing discoveries! Annabelle and I are both creative, artsy left-handers that rock out on the downbeat. Luke and Chris are meticulous, numbers types, both right-handed and bounce along on the upbeat. Bonnie just dances around like a crazy person, but she's 2....I don't expect much more than that lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an upbeat clapper, Kels!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an upbeat clapper, Kels!

    ReplyDelete