Thursday, June 17, 2010

Homemade Creole Tomato Soup


Gorgeous, fabulous creole tomatoes, baby! They remind me of Maria. She introduced me to the glory that is the creole tomato. I remember driving around with her in Slidell last summer and we would pass these fruit and veggie stands on the side of the road and she would exclaim, "CREOLE TOMATOES!!!" *giggle* That's why I love her.

Being that it has been a year since that time, we have now entered "CREOLE TOMATO!!" season and I thought I would share with you my absolute favorite tomato soup recipe. You can honestly use any kind of tomato you want for this soup, but I made it with the "CREOLE TOMATOES!!" recently, and I must say that I enjoy the meatiness that this tomato brings to the soup. They aren't as seedy as say a Roma, but if your garden is overflowing with tomatoes, this is a great way to use some of your bounty.

4 lbs fresh tomatoes, cut in big chunks
1 onion, cut in big chunks
2 bullion cubes, diluted in 4 cups H2O (you can use chicken or vegetable)
2 cups H2O
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c fresh herbs, chopped (basil, parsley, mint, dill, or thyme - I personally like a combo of parsley and basil 'cause it's what's in my garden)
1/2 - 1 c heavy cream (optional)

In a big pot, combine tomatoes, onion, broth/water, sugar and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the fresh chopped herbs and simmer for an additional 15 minutes.

Remove from heat. Place the soup in a blender or food processor and process until pureed. Return to soup pot and add cream to taste. Serve warm!

You can also make this and can it. I would maybe not add the cream if you are planning on canning or freezing this, just add it when you want to heat it up!

Enjoy! And buy some "CREOLE TOMATOES!!!" if you can! They are delicious!

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. as per your suggestion, the mom checked for the creole tomatoes at the united market street. no joy in mudville, tonight. i think i'll try the farmer's market. ronnie kimbrell grows tomatoes. if he doesn't have them maybe he would entertain trying to grow some. the quest goes on. btw what in h*** are you doing blogging at 3:18 in the a of m?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah mah gah. I'm even more convinced you and I are soul mates. This is going straight into my recipe book!

    ReplyDelete