Monday, June 14, 2010

Jump In The Line

Rock your body in time! Okay, I believe you!

Sorry...a little Harry Belafonte for ya' on this Monday morning. It might help you get the grove of your week going. Dance! Dance! Dance!

I hope you all have been having a wonderful summer so far. I can't believe it's already summer. Wasn't it just Christmas? Sheesh. Oh, and I realized that I passed a pretty monumental date and didn't acknowledge it.

It's officially been a year here at the Monkey Heart Discourses. A year ago, we threw caution to the wind and moved to New Orleans. A friend asked me the other night if my perception of the city has changed since moving here.

Oh, you have no idea. I could go on and on and on about how I had one idea and Ms. Nola has promptly retaught me. And by promptly I mean she has taken her sweet ass time. 'Cause that's how she rolls, y'all.

I don't regret it. Not for a moment.

Do we get frustrated? Well, that's like asking if you put okra in gumbo.

But, there are so many other positive things that have come about from our move to the city. My relationship with Kev has deepened as has my love for New Orleans. So, rather than be a Negative Nancy and focus on how the potholes are ruining every one's car (and by everyone I mean anyone who drives a car in New Orleans) I am going to focus on the thing that New Orleans does really well.

She loves. She shows love. She brings you in and feeds you and gives you a cold drink and says I am so glad you are here. Then, on a dime she can turn cold, but can't most lovers?

So, thanks Lady Nola for continuing to teach me a thing or twenty.

I look forward to another year, m'dear!

xoxo

2 comments:

  1. you can sho' nuff turn a phrase m'dear. has it only been a year? seems like forever and a day on this end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you put okra in gumbo? Only when it's in season, darlin'.

    "The traditional practice of using okra in the summer (in season) and filé in the winter has played a role in defining the kinds of gumbo usually associated with each. These associations are not hard and fast rules, but more of a general guide. For example a purely seafood gumbo is usually not thickened with filé, while one that is purely meat and game would usually not have okra. This reflects traditional practices of fishing and crabbing in warmer weather and hunting and butchering in cooler weather."

    Long analogy short, all things have their season...a time of frustration, a time of peace and understanding, a time for constancy, a time to grow. May your current season in New Orleans be one of continued good fortune. Congratulations on a year of change and for not giving in to negativity!

    *ckm*

    ReplyDelete