Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A BAT in the Cave


"You are the best. You are the worst. You are average. 
Your love is a part of you
You try to give it away because you cannot bear its radiance, but you cannot separate it 
from yourself. 
To understand your fellow humans, you must understand why 
you give them your love
You must realize that hate is but a crime-ridden subdivision of love. 
You must reclaim what YOU never lost
You must take leave of your sanity, and yet be fully responsible for your actions." 
-Gnarls Barkley, in a letter to the legendary rock critic Lester Bangs


For your musical pleasure...Gnarls Barkley The Odd Couple "Would Be Killer"



The photo above is a picture that I took on my mom's phone this afternoon as we were running errands.  She noticed this fabulous gargoyle on the side of someone's chimney.  At first, she thought it was two gargoyles, but as we are going back to ONE right now, we quickly realized that it is in fact a single gargoyle that is holding his mask and showing his demon side.  

Just something to think about . . . we should all be more aware of the masks we wear that we "keep in a jar by the door". (Bonus points if you can NAME THAT TUNE!!!)

I personally would like my masks to look the same as what's underneath.  I'm sure everyone in their soul of souls wants that as well, except we live in this crazy society where everyone is so political and angry and it's really gotten so frightening to live in a world where all we can do is fight over power.

Power. What IS power?  Is power respect?  Do you deserve respect?  I think you do because I think I deserve respect too.  Didn't we all learn some version of the "Golden Rule" when we were growing up?? Perhaps I should have been on the short bus the whole time that I was in school because it has taken me a really long time to stop caring so much what others think about me.  I'm still working on that.  Daily.

At this particular junction in the progression of the adventures in becoming a New Orleanian, I have to say that Lady Nola knows her stuff.  She's rough and tumble and that's how I like things.  I grew up with two brothers - what do you expect??  What's even better (sometimes worse...) about her is that she has this sassy, swingy way in which she woos you to come in and sit a while.  Linger a little longer...

So I'm lingering.  I'm taking things slowly.  And that's a really good tempo for me right now. 

I think a Hubig's Pie sounds good right now....

4 comments:

  1. Eleanor Rigby, The Beatles. Another appropriate song is "The Stranger", by Billy Joel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott, you get the cookie! Thanks for being my BR friend. I do hope one of these days we can have an Abita together...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, attempt number 3?? (What is up with blogger today??)

    I said--I think taking it slow is a good pace for all of us once in awhile. It allows us to slow down, observe, and gain a fresh perspective.

    Many hugs to you. Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by bro. AΦΩ all the way.

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete