Saturday, August 20, 2011

El Deguello (SLiT THROAT)

 
Hit Play & Read, Y'all!

connect the cause and effect
one foot in front of the next
this is the start of a journey

- Gnarls Barkley, Going On


Dear NOLA,

It's been a while since I've written you a love note, but please rest assured that I still love you more than the moon and the stars.  I love my peeps in LA and TX, and boy do I have peeps!  I never realized how my sparkles and sunshine put a smile on some peoples' faces.  That really makes me feel loved, knowing that people are laughing at with me as I stumble my way through becoming a full fledged New Orleanian and honoring my strong, "Remember the ALAMO!" approach to life.  I wear my Fleur De Lis pin with pride, like a badge of honor.  I've earned those stripes now.  I'm a whole person and the "finishing school" that I was enrolled in for the past 6 weeks held up a gorgeous mirror and assisted me in my transition into who I want to be when I have finished cleaning out my house.  

I just thought I knew what it means to miss MY New Orleans.  MY New Orleans is EVERYONE's New Orleans and that's why I love you, NOLA.  You give everyone a gracious, southern hug and a hankie when he or she needs a good cry in the proverbial bubble bath.  You even feed your "chickens" filling comfort foods and tight squeezes of the hand. To top it off, every member of the restaurant/hotel/hospitality industry is kinetically infused into the pulse of this city.  Combined with the efforts of the N.O.P.D. and major shake-ups in city government, and I have a front row seat to a fascinating study in city planning. I am learning the world by observing your constant adjustments to your gumbo recipe.

Let me say this:  I've always been a bit of a Nervous Nelly.  I'm really shy and overcompensate with my loud, VIVA LE TEJAS! attitude.  I have also spent my life with the knowledge that the world IS my stage.  I just have a hard time differentiating between "front of house" and "back of house".  I have a slightly better understanding of the pulse and mojo going on in Southeastern LA, but by no means do I claim to know anything except what my mom and dad, friends and family have told me and through my own experiences here.

Thank you, New Orleans, for giving me a TIME OUT! so I could tuck in my slip properly.  During my time out, I learned a lot about myself.  I really AM a Nervous Nancy and my doctors made me realize that a 5' 9" woman in her early 30s should weigh more than 115 lbs. Watching the movie BLACK SWAN stirred up some serious self-image issues that I had been mashing down in my Pandora's box of troubles.

I now have my own label and it doesn't feel good.  I am an anorexic former ballerina who really needs to eat a sandwich.  I'm working with my super-fab team of doctors and mi familia now to get back to MY TRUE strong, West-Texan tumbleweed roots, cross bred with your live oak trees, NOLA.

After all, I've always been a little bit Texan AND a little bit New Orleanian.

I hope you can continue to take me as I am, 'cause I'm not ready to throw in the towel.

With love,
Kel :6

 Peace Be With You . . .

6 comments:

  1. Very intense--honest--and sweet letter you've written. I don't live in NO or TX but I've lived in a lot of places close by--and I know that it feels wonderful to have that sense of belonging you describe with NOLA and Tx. Many hugs to you--you have friends over here too (over here=not in areas you specified). Cheers, Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Visiting from the Writer's forum. I admire your honesty and applaud you for writing it out. Please, eat. You'll feel better. Life is good! Following along now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful thing to do...writing a love note to your city! To feel so close to something as a city...I don't think I have ever felt that. That closeness allowed you to open yourself up and discover something about yourself that maybe was hard to face. So glad you were able to do that. Now, it's time to move forward and nourish yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are learning about yourself, Kels. It's a journey of discovery your whole life long! Give yourself a break, and a hug, and a beer, and a po'boy! You deserve it dear!***hugs***

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to know I have happiness and friendship available to me if I just ask! Thanks to everyone who has been following, who has just now come across the MHD, and CHEERS to all our futures in the blogo - world! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. All these things can be made right with a roast beef poy-boy and ice cold Abita Amber! You are New Orleans, Dawlin'!!!

    ReplyDelete