Tuesday, August 21, 2012

At the Market



So I went and "made groceries" today.  For those who don't live in New Orleans, that means that I went to the grocery store.  I had to pick up a few things so Kev and I don't starve for the next couple of days. 

While I was there, I stopped at the fish counter to pick up some salmon.  I'll call him the Fishmonger, because that is what his position is in actuality.  He picked out a nice piece of salmon for me and weighed it and did all his proper fishmonger things and then proceeds to ask me how I prepare my salmon.  I told him, "Herbs and butter and lemon".  He then proceeds to tell me he only buys fresh fish because he is from Northern Louisiana.

I didn't know how to respond.  You are telling me the "fresh" fish that I am buying is not fresh?  I know it comes from way up north and that is why you have it on ice.  I get that there are no salmon swimming in the Mississippi River, but come on!  Seriously?!?  I ended up saying something about being from Texas and still learning how to cook local fish properly.

Food is food and as long as it's not rotting, I'm going to eat it.  Well, that may be a little over dramatic, but seriously?  Was he trying to tell me something?  Now I'm all paranoid about the delicious meal I'm supposed to cook tonight. 

I think in actuality he was just trying to make conversation, but it made me feel uneasy.  However, I am going forward with my plans on making sauteed zucchini and squash, rice, and baked salmon for tonight's dinner.  I know it will make Kev happy and I know that the "fresh" fish I bought is not as fresh as the shrimp that was caught.  However, I shall persevere!

My Baked Salmon Recipe:
1 lb fresh salmon
2 tbs Herbs de Provonce
Olive Oil or Butter
Salt/Pepper to taste
 Lemon

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees,  clean your salmon (you don't want scales, yo), place in a baking dish, add the Herbs de Provonce, salt and pepper, dice up your butter or drizzle with olive oil, slice the lemons and place on top of the fish.

Bake the fish about 35 - 45 minutes (depending on where you live and how "done" you like it, and take out of the oven when you can flake the fish with a fork.  Enjoy!

Fish is good for you.  Don't pay attention to silly fishmongers when they say silly things, unless they have better suggestions for you.

xo

3 comments:

  1. Gosh, not sure I like that "made groceries" term – it's enough that I have to make dinner without also having to make the ingredients! :)lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've been to the Pikes Place Market in Seattle pictured above. The fishmongers really do throw the fish about and even out into the spectators watching "the show"(okay that one is fake but it never fails to get a huge gasp from the crowd. Fun guys those fishmongers. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay I am sold :-) and what time should I be there for dinner?
    I hope he is not saying that you should buy a live salmon :-)

    ReplyDelete