Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Used to Know

 
 Elliott Smith - Somebody That I Used to Know


We all have people that we have come into contact with in our lives that we no longer are "friends" with.  It pains me to think about the number of people who have come into my life that I no longer communicate with, but I think it has to do with a passing of time and people changing personalities.  It doesn't make it any easier, but perhaps we can all reach an understanding that those individuals came into our lives at a particular time for a particular purpose.  At least that is what I tell myself.

I am a fierce defender of my friends.  I am loyal and I love intensely, so it has made friendship breakups difficult for me over time.  I am always saying to myself, "What could I have done different?", but in actuality it probably has more to do with the other person than myself.  I could be wrong and just be a bad friend, but I don't think so.  I try to believe that I am a good person and that makes it difficult when a friendship hits the rocks.

I am also a big forgiver and I don't understand others who write people off.  It makes me uncomfortable because everyone has said something to someone during a relationship that has made the other individual uncomfortable.  Can't we all just share a Coke and be friends?

It takes all kinds of personalities to rule this world and I suppose these writer-offers are entitled to his or her take on said relationship, but that doesn't mean it doesn't leave a void in one's life.

So, cheers to all the individuals that I have called a friend.  I hope we are still friends and if not, I wish you nothing but positivity and happiness in your life.  You had an impact on my life and I am forever grateful.

Best...




3 comments:

  1. Nice to have you back...we all need a vacation from one another- from time to time. They may be gone now, but it's not always forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have found that people pass in and out of a person's life on their own journeys. Very few stay for the long haul.

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is great to have you back. I'm a lot like you. I'm fiercely loyal and I don't write people off--well I almost NEVER do it. Have I? Yes one or two--but only because the hurt and damage they caused me and my family just isn't something I could bare to see repeated. Have I forgiven them?? Absolutely. But I know when the "season" is over. Would I still be nice when I seen them again-- Yes...so they would know I have forgiven. You are really right...it doesn't make it any easier.

    Cheers, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete