Thursday, August 23, 2012

Fixing It Up



Kev and I live in a house that was built in the 1920's.  It's an olllllldddd house!  That means that lots of things need to be repaired - like all the time.  Our neighbors downstairs had their ceiling cave in because of flooding and now that they have had that fixed, the workers are working on the gutters outside. 

I love the architecture of this old house.  There are little details here and there that no one puts into building anymore.  Or if they do, it will cost a bunch of money.  We have transom windows above all the doors, which were used as natural air conditioning at one point in time.  We have picture molding and a claw footed bathtub.  I consider myself lucky that we have all these details in our home. 

On the other side, the windows stick and we need a new kitchen floor (I've actually had mushrooms growing between my kitchen tile) and it seems like no matter how much you scrub, the place is never really clean.  I guess that is what you get when you live in a house that was built in the '20s. 

I can't complain too much because we are super close to the parade route for Mardi Gras and only blocks away from the street car line and some great shopping and eating on Magazine Street.  A prime location with a few kinks here and there.

I consider us lucky to have such a neat apartment in the heart of all the action.  What do you love about where you live?

xo

3 comments:

  1. I live in a suburb outside Cols. Ohio. I really like that we are in an "older" neighborhood built in the 70's..very mature trees..and most of us have lived here longer than 10 years. We all pretty much know each other and we are neighborly. As for the house itself--I'm okay with it. I'm not in love with my house...but it is home and I'm blessed to have my home. I'm thankful that I've been able to raise my kids in this house.

    Cheers, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right on the outer edge of the Marigny, also in an ollldddd house, but I love being able to walk out the door and see tourists in horse-and-buggy carriages taking tours of MY neighborhood! I get to live here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol. I don't have the excuse of living in an old house, only one built in the 70s, but it's eough of a mess that mushrooms couuld be growing in my kitchen! My cats post is up and hope you get your glitches fixed.

    ReplyDelete