Monday, August 20, 2012

The Ruby-Ness of it All



I love sparkles.  Call me a four-year-old, but I love all things shiny.  Perhaps I'm like a bird, but it brightens my day when I can look at something shiny and glittery and happy.  It reminds me of being little and watching "The Wizard of Oz" and seeing those Ruby Slippers.  Those are some amazing shoes - seriously.  And what woman doesn't own at least one pair of red shoes to add an exclamation point to her outfit? 

I read a post about loving New Orleans recently and it brought up the topic of glitter.  I know most people think that glitter is the STD of the arts and crafts world but I just love it.  I think it brings something extra to the plate when you are adorning something with love.  Now please don't think that I dress in glitter and sparkles all the time because my wardrobe mainly consists of vintage broaches as my form of sparkle.  But I do love me a sparkled Muses shoe caught during Mardi Gras. 



I had the pleasure of going to Washington D.C. when I was pursuing my Master's Degree and I ended up at the Smithsonian and got to see an actual pair of the Ruby Slippers worn by Dorothy Gale (a.k.a. Judy Garland) while I was visiting the National Museum of American History.  I never in my life thought that these shoes were covered in sequins.  But, they are.  That is how they managed to make them so sparkly on the sound stage with all those focused lights.  I always thought they were bejeweled with at least rhinestones. The shoes are also covered with felt on the soles of the shoes, because Garland couldn't be clacking around during her dance sequences.  At least that is my assumption. 

Here in New Orleans, there are lots of people who love glitter.  I came across a gentleman who glitters his front steps with brown paint and gold glitter.  It adds an extra bit of glamor to his home and I can't blame him for doing it - it makes me happy and it makes his house fit into the "anything goes" attitude of the city's architecture.  I'm not sure what it does for his resale value but that is between him and his realtor.

So, don't dog the Ruby Slipper and don't dog glitter.  It may just make someone's day.  After all, a nice black dress with red shoes is like an exclamation point on an outfit.  And you will always receive many compliments on your style choice.

xo
  

2 comments:

  1. Glitter it is! My girls love glittering stuff including dresses and shoes ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. funny, the comment about 4 year olds and glitter. I remember in my boys' preschool, they had to send notices home requesting the girls not wear their glitter heels on the playground.

    ReplyDelete