Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mom's The Word

Happy Mother's Day to all you mommies out there! I hope you all have a wonderful day filled with lots of love and hugs and chocolate.

In fact, here's a gift for rearing the children of the world. It's a picture of a flower! A flower from across the street and probably had I picked it and actually given it to you, the neighbor might have gotten angry and had a terrible Mother's Day because someone stole the bloom off her rose bush. So, I took a picture of it instead. Plus, I'm not sure how well flowers travel through the interwebs.

Speaking of flowers on Mother's Day, I am reminded of the many Mother's Days of my youth. My brother C & I would get up really early in the morning on Mother's Day and ride our bikes around the neighborhood and pick our mother irises out of people's gardens.

TERRIBLE CHILDREN! I KNOW!!!

Don't think we didn't know any better. But, we were children and had no money to speak of and so we did the next best thing. We were CREATIVE!

Now before you get UBER upset with me, let me explain that it is a practice in my parent's neighborhood to plant iris bulbs in the alley along your fence.

So, we would go up and down the alleys and pick those blooming irises. We would end up with a giant bouquet and would present them to her, very proud that we were able to give her something on her special day.

Therefore, Mom, if I was in A-town this morning, I would ride my bike up and down the alley and pick you the prettiest bouquet of bearded irises from peoples alley gardens. And then we would drink coffee and eat beignets. And wait for the police to come arrest me for stealing people's flowers.

Happy Mother's Day! I love you!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment