Thursday, January 14, 2010

AHA!


So I worked late. Late into the evening...at least that's what it felt like.

I used to work non-stop. Go, go, go. Go, go. Sleep. Go, go.

For me, working at the symphony was a devotion. I was impassioned. I believed wholeheartedly in what I was promoting, who I was working for and which devil I was selling my soul to in order to be a part of such an organization. There was comfort in that music.

I am on a new path. It hurts my soul a little, I must admit. I had found my path (the arts) and found my solution to all the gook running around in m' brain. Then I thought, hey, I'm gonna go save New Orleans. Ummm....what was I ever thinking?

Please don't think I'm regretting our decision. I love this city and I am so glad we moved here.

It's odd to me how moving to a city such as New Orleans causes a shift in priorities. I feel passionate about my surroundings and my work is not as much a part of, well . . . me.

I had an AHA! moment tonight.

For me to be successful on my new adventure, I HAVE to make my job my life. My passion. Like I did at the symphony - available pretty much any time...seriously, those hours were madness!

But here's the slippery slope. I am an hourly, wage earning employee. Do I stay after my allotted time to work? That would mean overtime. They don't like the overtime. I don't blame them. I'm allowed a bit because I work for el queso grande, but I just don't know what I'm supposed to do!?!

I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Things are getting better. I'm understanding more...thank you Tyrannosaurus Rex! Seriously.

But, devotion is key. Believing in, just a little bit, the jargon and other muckity-mook helps. That's how it works, right? You work and smooch things and eventually you are the one being smooched and not working as hard as the smoochers. Right?

Terrible outlook! I came to "save" New Orleans, remember? HA! I say! What a fool I have been. New Orleans doesn't need saving, it saves you! From a life of boredom and taking your job situation too seriously. Seriously!

Who knows what the future may hold, but I promise that in 10 years, I'm no one's puppet.

No comments:

Post a Comment