Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Take a Walk


New Orleans is a very walkable city. You could even get away with not having a car here, really. Very European in its layout, this city permits you to head out on foot and really see the city and get lost in the sounds - powered by the mobility God gave you. It's really one of the many reasons I love New Orleans. I can walk and get somewhere. And, hear some exciting music along the way.

Because there are so many pedestrians walking to get where they need to go, it makes driving somewhere a bit slower. You have to be on your toes and make sure you aren't about to run over someone walking or riding their bike. Kev always says he's not worried so much about hitting another driver, just the crazy pedestrians! I concur, darling.

Due to all the walking going on, I started a little experiment. When we drive somewhere and it's pretty, I like to turn up the music and roll the windows down. I know, I know, think of the noise pollution I'm contributing to. But, I promise there's a point. I roll the windows down, crank up the music and I watch. I watch the pedestrian's feet. And, in my very scientific research *ahem*, I have realized that almost everyone will get into step with the beat of the music. Like marching band, really.

I LOVE THIS! It makes me smile. You should try it sometime. It's really quite a phenomenon...all the ants marching. Might as well provide them with some good entertainment.

Now I will suggest that you be selective in what you provide for their musical pleasure. Don't go blaring your lost Kenny G album because, well, who wants to listen to that? I repeat: good music with a good beat is key!

If you don't believe me, try playing one song that has a particular cadence and then switch it up to something different. They will change their step pattern, trust me. And then you will smile, too!

So, on this lovely Wednesday, go forth and be musical! And watch your walkers. They will provide you with a wonderful distraction while you are sitting in traffic. Just don't be mad if they get somewhere faster by walking than you do in your car.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment