Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Doggie Brigade

I believe that our animals are our forever friends.  They are loyal, they show affection, understand your moods, and can somehow manage to turn a not-so-great day into a better one, simply by letting you pet their fur.

I saw these two cuties driving around  one day.  They were just hanging out on the front porch of their house, checking out things in the neighborhood.  They look like their human parents take good care of them and are the best of buds, don't you think?

Kevin and I are so lucky to have our two kitties as companions.  They are definitely lazier than most dogs and go to the bathroom in a litter box, so that means we don't take them on walks to do their business.  Plus, have you ever tried putting a cat on a leash?  It's pretty funny.  They tend to fall over and you end up dragging them along.  In other words, cats will not be led.

Which brings me to another point.  New Orleans is a dog city.  Everyone has a dog around here and I have gotten to know the many dogs in the neighborhood, simply by associating them with their owners when they walk by the house.

The guy in the scrubs has the cutest basset hound, except the basset hound has an extra swishy tail, like a Persian cat.  There is also this other guy that walks a literal dog brigade around the neighborhood - he's walking about 4 dogs at once.  I wonder if he is a dog walker.

I love our kitties.  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE THEM!  But, I want a dog.  Not a puppy, even though puppy breath is the best, but I know that right now is not the time for us to have a dog.  We don't have the space, the cats would divorce us, and on, and on....

So, I get to admire everyone walking their dogs around the city, and then I return home to my kitties.  They are quiet (well, Alice is quiet) and offer us plenty of affection, as long as their food bowl is full. 

However, when we are able to move into a bigger place, you better believe Kevin and I are going to march ourselves down to the animal shelter and pick out a gently used dog to add to our family of fur babies. 

That way, I won't get strange looks showing up at the dog park with a cat on a leash.

Happy Tuesday!
xoxo

8 comments:

  1. You have to stop embarrassing your cat with that leash, it's no good for their self esteem eh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an awesome read--(and funny too)!!  I know the feeling of wanting more fur babies.  We have an OLD miniature schnauzer, and he was never-ever once sociable around other fur-friends.  Ever.  Just People.  We tried once, and it was horrible.  Anyway, He probably doesn't have a lot longer to live...and although we will really miss him, we plan to inundate our home with cats and dogs!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This  was so cool!  I too am a cat person forced into owning a dog. Not just one, but 3 at this point.  Not sure how that happened!  Never fear, I still have my 2 cats!!  Your post was so good and amusing!!  I thought my cats would "divorce" me.  Because I love my cats in one piece  I keep the animals separated.  During the day, the cats get the run of the bedrooms.  At night the dogs get to be in the bedroom with me and the cats get the run of the house.

    Kathy
    http://www.thetruckerswife.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, Oliver really is starting to develop a complex!  ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Old dogs are the best...they know EVERYTHING!  It's funny how much our animals do become such important members of our families. As far as your doggy, he's probably always just been a people person.  He probably looks at you guys like, "Umm...why are you trying to make me converse with these other humans that just go 'arf-arf'? Our conversations are WAY more intelligent, Mom & Dad!"

     If Kevin would let me, I would probably adopt every stray animal I came into contact with.  Good thing he knows how to use the word no, otherwise we would be broke from all the cat and dog food costs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like you have it figured out, Kathy!  The cats will ALWAYS rule the house, no matter how many dogs we end up with!  Sounds like your kitties have you trained like our kitties have us trained!  So glad you stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you have it figured out, Kathy!  The cats will ALWAYS rule
    the house, no matter how many dogs we end up with!  Sounds like your
    kitties have you trained like our kitties have us trained!  So glad you
    stopped by!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your furry nephews love you!

    ReplyDelete