Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Practicing Yoga: Against Your Religion?


How many of you practice yoga as a form of exercise?  Me personally, I like to pretend that I practice yoga, but by no means am I anything but a bendy-ballerina who is jealous of those brave enough to attempt, let alone achieve, a proper head stand.  However, I look at yoga in the same way that I view a really involved ballet class.  It is an excellent way to not only work on your physical body, but also your mental health through meditation.  Do you think it is possible to achieve 32 par terre hops in a row in Giselle while you are thinking about how you have to call the dentist about that tooth cleaning and pay your electric bill?  It isn't, and if you do think about that bill, down comes your leg, you fall out of your pose, having lost your concentration.  On the other hand, if you do maintain your concentration/meditation on the task/pose at hand and you pull it off, the mental and physical payoffs are immeasurable.

Yoga = Meditation = Peace of Mind = Having A Full Bucket = Better For The UNIVERSE!

Which is why I was really blown away by Feexa's post over at Hijab 'n' The City this morning. In her post, she brings up that in the Muslim religion, practicing yoga is considered 'haram'.  Now, being an American and wanting to really understand exactly what Feexa was talking about, I did a little research to understand what 'haram' means.

Basically, it's against your religion and against God.  Period.  It's like when the Pope says, "Hey, y'all, no birth control because sex is for procreation only!"  Except, I don't know about you, but I know many a Catholic woman who has used birth control.  Kind of like that, only much more extreme because this is over in Malaysia, NOT America.

Feexa stated that there was a big uproar in the media in Malaysia back in 2009 about Yoga being 'haram' for practicing Muslims.  While there continues to be a stigma against practicing yoga, it seems that Feexa is pushing on and continues to teach yoga to her students, despite many people in her community who do not allow their wives, daughters, mothers, or sisters to practice such a beneficial way to take care of the whole person.  I chalk it up to naivete.  People are afraid of what they do not understand, and it appears that in Malaysia, Feexa is fighting quite a battle against preconceived notions.

Her post makes me appreciate that I live in America.  It makes me realize that as American women, we take for granted that we can walk down the street with our heads uncovered.  And, if we choose to walk down the street with a hijab on our head, we also have that right.  We can go take that yoga class, or maybe even a pole dancing exercise class and know that our husbands will not be waiting for us when we get home, ready to beat us for committing a sin against God and bringing shame to the family.

What a battle our sisters of the world face.  Next time you go take a yoga class, or any class for yourself, remember that there a woman in this world who would like to be in your shoes...or bare feet, and be stepping onto her own yoga mat.

Is it sacrilege to take care of ones' self?  I don't think so and I don't think you do, either.  Therefore, let's all say an extra prayer or two for Feexa and her students and their continued battle in bringing yoga to the masses in Malaysia!

10 comments:

  1. Wow...I had no idea that it was against that religion.  Such a shame, because we should be able to implement any way we see fit to get our bodies and our minds into shape...and mentally and physically be able to face our day.  Feexa will definitely get some extra prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly!  I was shocked when I read her post this morning.  Who would have thought, something as simple and healing as yoga and your religious leaders are like, NOPE!  Frustration - station, I say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I didn't know that either!!  You learn something new everyday!! :D The only yoga I have ever done is with the Wii Fit !  Great post!!

    Kathy
    http://www.thetruckerswife.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post :)
    When I was a lay leader in the Anglican Church, here in the UK, several churches in our area refused to rent the church hall to yoga groups, because it was non- Christian...
    one of the very many reasons I left *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Claire!  I just think everyone gets so upset over religion and this and that these days.  I understand following the tenants of one's faith, but really?

    In your situation-I'm not surprised at the Christian churches refusing to allow yoga instructors to rent the space.  Feexa brings up the point that yoga being based in Hinduism is a form of practicing Hinduism, therefore, bringing up the question: is practicing yoga against your religion?

    Hypocrisy is everywhere in religion, I think the real test is maintaining faith in whatever your faith may be in...it can be a struggle, especially these days.  Religion and spirituality have become two different things for me, personally. 

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know, Kathy!  I was literally blown out of my chair when I read her post.  I had to go back and read and re-read to make sure I was understanding her right.

    How is the Wii Fit?  I've been wanting one...I hear that it tells you if you are putting pressure on one side more than the other, yada, yada...looks cool to me!  I always kick my husband's butt in boxing on the Wii...that's about it, though.  ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although we know that so many in the world are oppressed, it's still somehow shocking every time we are presented with examples. I think that yoga may be threatening to some leaders in that it helps to develop focus, confidence, and strength--both physical and emotional--and if you are trying to maintain control of the masses, the last thing you want is for them to be strong, confident, focused, and looking within for answers.

    Definitely keeping Feeza, her students, and the people of Malaysia in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. interesting indeed. makes me want to go take a yoga class for sure! : ) 

    ReplyDelete
  9. You can stand next to me in class, Amy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Knocked out of my chair.  I think what I was so impressed with was how open Feexa was with speaking out about how women are treated in her country.  There is a sense of acceptance, but also this huge undercurrent of frustration, sadness, and disgust that I hear in her words. 

    You are so very observational and "nail on the head", Ms. Word Nerd ;)

    ReplyDelete