Thursday, August 6, 2009

A Dapper Evening


I will admit that I have been neglecting my love of nature and the outdoors. I live in one of the most beautiful cities I have ever seen and yet, I seem to stay in my little comfort zone. So, this evening, I grabbed the camera and set out to find some things that make me smile about my little neighborhood.


I headed down to Magazine Street. For those of you who are not familiar, Magazine Street is a street that has a plethora of restaurants, boutiques, and art galleries. We live within walking distance and could easily walk down the street to enjoy some fabulous live music or delectable Cajun cuisine. It is very charming and eclectic.


Here is a little candy store. Other than chain stores, I have not seen a candy shop in a very long time. I simply adore the horses that sit out front. Sometimes, the owner ties balloons to the horses and they float in the breeze. There is something so simple and nostalgic about going to buy candy. And colorful, for that matter! If you look in the upper corner, you can see a sign for the Buddha Belly. It's a pool hall/bar/laundromat - I think that sounds like a plan! Have a beer and wash your socks all at the same time!


Here is a picture of the French Bakery that is literally right down the street from our house. It's so charming with it's bright blue walls and and yellow trim and smell of baking bread in the mornings. Mmmm....warm bread. Is there anything better?


Here is a purple house. I am obsessed with the purple houses in these parts - a very popular color. I love the boldness, yet the calmness of the purple. They definitely stand out, but then again, so do the bright orange or lime green houses you see.


Here is a picture of the house we live in. This is the front of the house and our front door is on the side of the house.


And here is our front door. Yes, we do have a steel cage door that we have to open before we can open our actual front door. I particularly like the glass that is in the door. Alice likes to sit on the landing and sun herself in the afternoons in the stairwell.


Finally, here is our street. I love how the neighborhoods around here have the street names embedded into the concrete on each street corner. It's the small things that make this city charming. The water meter cover, the lady at the grocery that calls you "baby", the way the magnolia blossoms only seem to stick around for a day, and the way you can set your watch to the afternoon rainstorms. And boy, those thunderheads are huge! I guess that's what you get to observe when you live so close to the Gulf Coast and the Mississippi River. I love New Orleans.

No comments:

Post a Comment