Friday, August 21, 2009

Working Like a Dog


I filled out paperwork today at a staffing agency. Hey, it's better than nothing and I think this will be an opportunity for me to meet as many people as possible in the shortest amount of time. I have come to realize that finding a job in this city doesn't have anything to do with my education or work experience, rather, it's who you know. And I know no one.

Well, except for my new friend Jermaine that hooked me up with the temp agency contact. We met him when we went down to Vic's Kangaroo Cafe down in the Quarter. (Great bar - cold beer, cool people, and delicious air conditioning!) So, I'd like to give a proper shout out to my new friend. He's really nice and outgoing and I'm impressed with his mad skills for remembering names.

In fact, everyone at the staffing agency was great. Very friendly and helpful and encouraging. Thank you for not making me feel like a total reject and giving me some hope in finding success in our new home town.

I had to take the typical typing tests as well as some testing in Excel and Word. Thank you symphony for helping me hone my mad spreadsheet skills. They came in handy today!

What was funny about this process was the personality questionnaire that I had to fill out before I started the testing. It asked the usual run of the mill questions like, "How often are you late to work" and "How often do you take merchandise from your employer". You answer with the typical Leichert Scale responses, 1 being strongly disagree and 5 being strongly agree.

Of course, there were questions about drug use. One question asked, "How often do you use Meth?" The scale ranged from "I don't have a problem, but every day" to "Never". Now I have to ask, who in their right mind would answer "I don't have a problem, but every day"? You are trying to get a job! Even if it is a temporary position, it is still a job and why would you EVER sabotage yourself right out of the gate? (No worries, people. I answered honestly and informed them that I never use meth.)

The funniest question I came across during this test was about violence in the work place. It was a situational question: "If someone mouths off to me, he deserves a punch to the mouth." Ummm...I strongly disagree, I promise. (However, I'm sure a lot of you have imagined yourself punching a nasty coworker in his or her mouth because they were being jerky. No? Hrrmmm...I don't think you are being honest with yourself.) ;) Again, these questions are so obvious as to what you should say, I wonder if anyone answered "Strongly Agree"?

So, I'm excited for the new people I will meet in this new avenue. And who knows, I could actually land a permanent position from this adventure.

On a side note, the picture of the Blue Dog is from artist George Rodrigue. Pretty famous art in these parts. If you have an opportunity, check out his website. I particularly like the painting titled "Once More I'm thinking of You".

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment