Wednesday, August 12, 2009

On the corner of St. Ann & N. Claiborne...


Under the highway, there is a mini art gallery. Local artists have turned the support columns for the highway into works of art. Rather than have graffiti covering every last inch of these concrete pillars, people have taken the time to tell a cultural story of New Orleans.


Here is a depiction of a southern lady carrying her "Second Line" umbrella. It does get hot around here and portable shade can be a necessity.


There are depictions of the delicious. There are multiple pillars that focus on the local cuisine. Anyone up for a bowl of gumbo and a crawfish boil?


Here is a Mardi Gras Indian. Mysterious and grand, consider yourself lucky if you happen to run into one during Carnival.


There are depictions of the uglier side of the city. This pillar shows the Freedom Riders and how African Americans struggled for equality during the Civil Rights Movement. In my opinion, racism is still a huge problem in this city. A friend of mine in the city told me one time, "If you're white, you're all right. If you're black, watch your back." Unfortunately, the longer I have been here, the more I have to agree with him.


Krewe of Zulu is one of the many Mardi Gras krewes that actively participate in the festivities of Carnival. They have the privilege of rolling (that is, their parade rolls) on Fat Tuesday. I think this guy has been working out! Look at those washboard abs!


What is New Orleans without some Voodoo thrown in. I particularly like this pillar because it reminds me of Texas and the Dia de los Muertos celebrations. Plus, I think I just have a thing for pictures of skeletons. Don't ask me why.


Here is the other side of that pillar. You get two pictures of this one because I think it is particularly awesome.

This city continues to amaze me with the combination of complete destruction and awe inspiring beauty. I admire how the city's residents can take something so ordinary and turn it into art. And because these artists took the time to create something meaningful, the amount of scribble and graffiti has been somewhat lessened. I think I have found my muse in this city.

1 comment:

  1. Your "Dia de los Muertos" pole is no mere skeleton painting. Read up on the Skull and Bone Gangs!

    Check this site:
    http://www.charlessilver.com/signsoflife.html

    And the opposite side of that pole is one of the Bone Gang dancing with a Baby Doll.

    Check out this article about the resurgence of the Baby Dolls: http://bestofneworleans.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A50876

    Once you're finished reading, rent the documentary "All On A Mardi Gras Day"...then we'll go have drinks at the Mother-in-Law Lounge this February!

    -CKM-

    ReplyDelete