Friday, April 9, 2010

Seed Watch Update and Another Experiment


It's a little cool outside this morning. A big rainstorm yesterday morning brought with it a cold front. Not cold, cold. Just cooler.



Because the temperature is so nice, Kev opened the windows and is baking bread this morning. MMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmm.....bread.

As far as the little seedkins, the cucumbers have now all found their permanent homes in the trellis boxes. They seem to be doing just fine, aside from the occasional nibble from Alice or Oliver.

Speaking of things taking a little nibble out of the plants, there was a green wormy caterpillar that fell into one of the boxes yesterday and wiggled around. Kev removed him from the box and we *believe* he is now living in the oak tree.

R, my brother R's girlfriend, warned me about caterpillar season down here. Yikes! Apparently, these babies get all hairy and fall on you out of the giant trees during April. Note to self: have umbrella open at all times.

Here are the tomatoes! Jules has a tomato on her plants that is ready to be plucked. :( Ours still have an entire summer to go. I have to keep reminding myself that good things come to those who wait.


Like I said before, we had a big rainstorm yesterday. Here's to hoping some good sunshine can help these guys pick their heads back up.


This is a bucket o' herbs from my mom! They seem to be coming along quite swimmingly.

So these guys kind of got hit hard with the rain as well. But, I must say that planting seeds in egg cartons is a great way to get things started!

And I started another little experiment. I read that you can plant the bulb part of the green onions you buy at the grocery store and they will grow. So, I tried it. I concur, this works beautifully. I have planted these gradually over the week as I have used the green onions in my recipes this week. But, look at that! One week and they have already grown this much!

Notice how there is a lighter green down at the base of each stock? Well, that is the line of where I started with them!

So, try this. I swear, anyone can do this. And, you can save some $$ at the grocery store next time you need some green onions. When you are cutting up your onion, don't cut off the white part at the bottom. Get a pot of soil, poke a hole with your finger and bury the onion bulb! Voila! Green Onion Garden!

I hope you all have a fabulous FRIDAY!

*Doing the Friday tap dance*

xoxo

4 comments:

  1. Hey, my mother-in-law told me to put eggshells in with my 'maters...thus far, huge production! It works well....

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can get some extra green onions just by putting the whites in a cup of water on a windowsill--they'll grow some new green for at least a few days. You can *also* grow yourself a new pineapple in a similar fashion. When you buy a whole pineapple at the store, cut the top off and trim it back to the core. Let the leaves/core combo dry out for a few days, then stick it in a cup of water in the windowsill. Once some little root-ish looking threads sprout from the core, plant it in a pot. In a few month's time, you'll have a bromeliad look-alike pineapple plant and if you're *really* lucky it'll produce a new pineapple. In a few years. We have one in our kitchen window right now.

    *ckm*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jules - I put the eggshells in the 'maters. I think it is helping because they have gotten much taller since I did that. Could be the sunshine, too!

    *ckm* - I want a pineapple plant! I think I'll try that! Could be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jules - I put the eggshells in the 'maters. I think it is helping because they have gotten much taller since I did that. Could be the sunshine, too!

    *ckm* - I want a pineapple plant! I think I'll try that! Could be interesting!

    ReplyDelete