Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Always and Forever


I want a love that lasts forever, just like these two. This is a picture of my grandparents, Bill & Estelle. Oh, Bill! That's what my grandma always said to him when he was being a stinker. And boy was he a stinker! But I think that's why she loved him. He was flirtatious up until the day he died. In fact, he's probably up in heaven right now flirting with the ladies and waiting for my grandma to come home in her own time.

This particular picture was taken right before my grandpa was leaving to go to war, I believe. War or boot camp or something with the Army Air Corps. You can't see Grandma's face because she was crying. Sad to have her man leave her. I understand how you felt, Grandma.

Now Kev isn't going off to war. In fact, he's still with me in the city. Working his graveyard shift. Making a huge sacrifice for our family so that we can continue to grow in our transition to NOLA. I appreciate my husband. I love my husband. I miss my husband.

I am fascinated by my many examples of "love that lasts a lifetime". No, not a commercial for a diamond necklace. The real deal. Like my parents and grandparents. The happy times, sad times, sacrifice and heartache that goes into being with someone for 50+ years. Kev has been surrounded by these examples his whole life as well. Both sets of his adorable grandparents and his parents - all very dedicated to each other. That is inspiring and intimidating, all in the same breath. But, these are good examples and good foundations for which to build our own life together.

I can't wrap my mind around how my grandmother felt after Grandpa went off to fight the Nazis. He was flying less than perfect planes across the Atlantic Ocean, often having to "ABANDON SHIP!" in the midst of the flight. Did he ever tell Grandma of the danger he was in? Ummm....he was crazy, but he wasn't dumb. I remember hearing him tell us about one of his missions back in the day, and Grandma saying, "Bill Raitt! You never told me about that before!" He just laughed his grandpa laugh, "aheeheehee, aheeheehee!". That's what made them work, I think. A little bit of mystery, even after all those years, and a lot of love and respect for each other. He gave her the moon and the stars, and she him.

I know that my lifetime happiness is unfolding before me, right here, right now. It's just hard. But change is hard. I just need to be more like my grandma and Rosie the Riveter and think, "We can do it!". Because, you know what? We can. And we will.

No comments:

Post a Comment