Thursday, December 17, 2009

A Local Treasure


Oh, Cafe Du Monde....how I love thee so! Your delicious cafe au lait, chicory coffee, and beignets with an exorbitant amount of powdered sugar are a definite treat in this city of treats. Plus, the location isn't half bad either. I have paid many a visit to this little cafe. Just across the street from Jackson Square, it is a great location for people watching and a little respite from all the walking you will do while in the French Quarter.


The waiters wear paper hats and white shirts, and the service is usually fairly quick. I think the waiters are smart to wear white with all that powdered sugar flying around! These guys look like they are doing some gambling...I know they aren't. Or are they? Plus, they are cheap! (The beignets, not the waiters.) Just a tip though: when you order your beignet, keep in mind you will be getting THREE delicious tasty treats on your plate. That's a lot of powdered sugar to consume by one person. So, bring a friend and share.


Another helpful tip when enjoying your beignet: dust off some of the powdered sugar. Otherwise you will be inhaling a bunch of it and look like you have a little problem with your nose candy. "Say hello to my leetle friend!"

I have heard there are other cafes that sell beignets and chicory coffee in the city. I'm sure they are very tasty and delicious, but there is something about the ambiance of this place. The sticky, Formica tables and tiny napkins. The paper hats. And, the great view of the Square with the carriages and mules.

I posted this today as a little teaser for what is to come. I cooked dinner last night and had a little help from my kitchen friends (a.k.a. Monkey Peeler, Jamie Hayes Devil Doll and Mr. Toucan). We had an adventure and you won't want to miss this!

Happy Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I remember go with you to see Chris and the band in N.O. We walked the French Quarter and ended at The Cafe Du Monde. I also remember walking Jackson Square and window looking... What a great time I had with you that day

    ReplyDelete