Friday, December 4, 2009

Random Acts of Kindness


What does it mean to be kind? So often in our busy lives, we don't take the time to bother helping others. Like holding the elevator door for someone instead of quickly pushing the button for your floor, or taking a neighbor a piece of mail that was misplaced in your mailbox. Come to think of it, that could be a federal offense - the mail, not the elevator. Perhaps you are too wrapped up in the stress of your day and just don't think about taking the extra two minutes to help someone else. Walking around like a zombie - not smiling, not sharing. What a miserable existence.

I come from the world of uber-friendly people. Texas! Land of generous smiles, doors held open for others, and gentlemen who STILL give up their seats so a lady can sit down. There is a slower cadence in the area from which I came. I now live in the "big city". Except, there is also a type of slow cadence that resides in the deep south. It's different from I'm used to, yet this pulse is familiar and it comforts me.

I was driving to work yesterday morning and I came upon one of the many school zones I pass in my commute. Traffic was stopped as the children were crossing the busy street with a police officer. I was slightly annoyed (Shame on ME! Education is priceless!) as I wanted to arrive at work early and start my day. Then, I noticed a coat fall into the middle of the crosswalk. The traffic was about to pick up again and I panicked for a moment, thinking, "Oh my! Some poor child will be without his or her coat and said coat will be trampled to death by the cars!" Or worse, "Some poor child will be run over trying to retrieve the coat!"

Then, a whistle blew. I didn't see what happened next but then saw a girl running to catch up with her friends, with the coat in her hands. *WHEW* I was relieved. And my heart was warmer because this officer had staved off traffic a few seconds longer and taken the time to pick up the coat.

I'm sure the girl was relieved, too. Not at the prospect of continuing warmth, but rather avoiding the scolding she would have most likely received from her momma for losing her coat in said crosswalk.

Simple, I know. Silly? Perhaps. It's the small things in life that make us human. So, take time today and notice a random act of kindness - no matter how small. In fact, you might even try it yourself. It will make you feel good, I promise! I am a firm believer that a selfless act is never truly, 100% selfless. Why? Because you feel good about it afterward. That is your reward! Warmth in your heart.

Today, this happiest of days (a.k.a. FRIDAY!!!), do something for a stranger. Hold open that door, pick up something dropped, and feel good in knowing you helped someone have a better day.

Happy Friday, y'all!

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. Oh My Gosh What a Wonderful Story.... I just love your writing... When did you get so good at it???? Was it always there and I didn't know it.
    love ya much and miss you.

    ReplyDelete