Friday, December 11, 2009

The Castle on the Bayou

When Kev and I go visit our good friends Jen & LJ in Slidell, we drive past this castle. It's positioned off the highway and sits on the water - one of the basins that feed off Lake Pontchartrain. This castle house survived Katrina, but she's a little tilted now - like the Leaning Tower of Pisa. I finally got him to pull off the highway so I could take pictures of this little treasure on the bayou.

It fascinates me. I think if I lived there, I would wear Elizabethan style clothes all the time and grow my hair out really, really long. I would make roast chickens all the time and force Kevin to eat them like he was Henry XIII. "Off with her head!" Yeah, then people would call us the crazy people who lived in the castle house.

But, it would be fun. I wonder what inspires people to build homes that are "different"? There is a ton of beautiful architecture in the New Orleans area. Very unique and each home sports it's own joie de vivre. Uniqueness is abounding in this city so, it's not surprising that someone was like, "Enough with the shotguns! I'm building a castle!"

It serves as a landmark for Kev and me. I always look for it when we make that drive. Kind of like when my brother and I would go to our Mary's house in the morning and anticipate seeing that plastic donkey in a front yard that was on the route. We would hit each other once we saw it and always say, "I get points 'cause I saw it FIRST!" Followed by, "No, I saw it FIRST! MOOOOOMMMMMMM"!!!!!!!

Happy Friday! As you know, it's my favorite day of the week. The beginning of a respite from the work week - time to recharge the batteries.

Have a fabulous day, y'all!

Oh, and I get points 'cause I saw the castle first!

3 comments:

  1. My family moved from New Orleans East to Slidell in 1983, I was in 3rd grade. Since then, everytime I drive from one place to the other I look for the castle. I don't know why, but as out of place as it is, it makes me feel at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really really like this reminds me of when we (all 5 of us) would go see our Aunt Maxine we will start looking for the top of her house miles away and everyone wanted to be the first one to say " I see Aunt Maxine's house"

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family moved from New Orleans East to Slidell in 1983, I was in 3rd grade. Since then, everytime I drive from one place to the other I look for the castle. I don't know why, but as out of place as it is, it makes me feel at home.

    ReplyDelete