Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Yay for the Band!

My brother, the rock star. And yes, in my opinion, he is a rock star. He lives in Austin, plays in numerous bands and lives quite a rock star lifestyle. (Minus the alcoholism and cocaine addiction.) He's been playing guitar for years. In fact, he even participated in a "Battle of the Bands" competition at the Midnight Rodeo ("Rope-A-Ho") when he wasn't even old enough to be admitted as a minor. Since then, he's played much more dazzling events, but trust me my little darlings, there is a point to me mentioning the Rodeo.

This battle of the bands competition was a big deal in our little town of Amarillo. It seemed that way at the time, at least. I thought it odd that a venue that typically hosts country and western music and a circular dance floor to waltz your honey around, would host such a rock 'n roll type event. There were all types of bands competing for the top prize - punk, death metal, electronica, alternative, and my brother's group ("don't classify my music").

The whole family turned out to support the band. Burned Blue, that was the band's name, had developed a following in the area and had a lot of people show up to support as well. The competition was judged by audience response and the pure rock-ability of the performance. We were all determined to help them win!

We screamed. We danced. We threw up the rock 'n roll signs with our fingers. And then, it turned really crazy. I don't know whose idea it was to start throwing bras at the members of Burned Blue, but suddenly bras of every type kept flying through the air onto the stage. If that isn't rock star, I don't know what is!

The song was winding down. We were still screaming and dancing. Then, I decided, "What the heck!?!" and took my bra off and threw it up on stage - with my parents at the show. Hmmm.....I was afraid they were going to call me a wanton hussy! After all, it was a leopard print bra, but the bra supply was running out. I had to do my part - no matter if I got in trouble!

Trouble? I wasn't going to get into trouble. I looked over and my MOTHER was doing the exact same thing! Proud of her boy! My mom was blessed by the ta-ta fairy, but did she care she was about to be without her "support"? Heck, no!

*Toss* "Woo Hoo!"

After all that cheering and lingerie, they didn't win. :( 2nd place. In my opinion, they should have. After all, I offered my leopard bra to the gods of rock along with many other girls and MY MOM. The least they could do is reward the band for our sacrifices!

He may not have won, but my brother still rocks.

I never got that bra back, either. But then again, it was a sacrifice.

Yay for the band!

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness that is one of the funniest things I have heard in a while! Yay for your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh what a wonderful memory you get reminded me of... Judy and I loved going to all the music venues of the band what a wonderful time we all had thanks so much for the memory

    ReplyDelete